For the 2020/2021 school year, STEMworks and the Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council are collaborating on the Iowa STEM Scale-Up Program, an initiative to scale effective STEM programs in the state of Iowa using a combination of state and private funds.
If you are interested in providing STEM programming in Iowa and would like to be considered for this initiative, please create an account to apply to STEMworks.
Summary of important dates and deadlines:
- September 3, 2019 – application opens
- September 10, 2019, 12:00pm Central Time – STEMworks and Iowa webinar for prospective applicants
- September 24, 2019, 5pm Central Time – STEMworks prescreening due
- October 1, 2019, 5pm Central Time – application closed
- December 9, 2019 – STEMworks acceptances announced
- January 3, 2020 – Programs notified of selection
- January 21, 2020 – Application opens to educators aiming to implement selected programs
- March 2, 2020 – Educator application closed
- April 7, 2020 – Final scale-up selections announced
Webinar orientation for prospective applicants
Materials from past webinars are linked below:
- Full webinar (2018) recording (large file, ~200MB)
- Audio file (2018) only (~20MB)
- Handout of slides (2019 - due to technical issues, a recording is not available)
- FAQ (2019) pulled from questions and chat
STEM programs that serve PreK-12th grade audiences in or out of school with the capacity to deliver professional development and materials in Iowa are eligible for the Scale-Up Program.
The Iowa STEM Scale-up process has four stages:
- First, WestEd and Iowa reviewers selected by the STEM Advisory Council review STEMworks applications. Programs deemed "Accomplished" are included in the STEMworks database.
- Second, reviewers rate Accomplished programs against the Iowa supplemental questions to assess their readiness to go to scale in Iowa.
- Third, programs accepted for scale-up in Iowa are offered to educators across the state in spring of 2020. Educators apply to bring the program(s) to their students over the 2020/2021 academic year (with, in some instances, professional development in summer of 2020).
- Fourth, advisory boards in each of six STEM regions in Iowa determine which of the Scale-Up educator applications they will award in their regions. Not all eligible programs are equally implemented in all six regions of Iowa.
Already listed in the STEMworks database and submitting for the Iowa Scale-Up Program?
Programs already listed in the STEMworks database need only submit their responses via the application portal to the Iowa supplemental questions (pdf). Programs that were awarded Iowa Scale-Up Funds for the 2019/2020 school year must complete the Iowa-specific questions again to be considered for 2020/2021 Scale-Up funds.
The Application Process
After completing the steps for the STEMworks application, programs complete the Iowa supplemental questions to determine their readiness to scale in the state.
For more information on the Iowa STEM Scale-Up Program, please reach out to Sarah Derry.
For other questions or technical assistance with your application, please contact the STEMworks helpdesk.